Recent News


Quality, LED lights do not typically burn out in the same way that incandescent bulbs do; instead, they become progressively dimmer over time. Additionally, they do not emit UV or infrared light, produce very little heat, are resistant to shock and vibration, and operate effectively in cold environments, and they contain no mercury. The fact that LEDs reduce the harmful emissions (including mercury) flowing into the environment and eliminate the chance of creating pollution when the bulbs are disposed of is very good news for the environment. It is assumed here then that the higher is the quality of LED lamps, the higher will be their rate of adoption.

Energy, savings LED lamps tend to use less than one-sixth as much energy as their incandescent or halogen counterparts, and 2-3 times less than most CFLs. The efficiency of light bulbs can be determined by comparing the amount of light produced to the amount of energy consumed. The goal should be to find a light fixture that emits the most light with the least amount of energy consumed and at the best price for one’s budget. However, leaving price aside, research shows that LED light bulbs are the most energy-efficient: LED bulbs produce 90 to 112 lumens per watt; compact fluorescent lamps produce 40 to 70 lumens per watt; traditional incandescent bulb fixtures only produce 10 to 17 lumens per watt. Consequently, from a purely scientific point of view, LEDs are the most energy-efficient bulbs because, with proper design, an LED circuit will approach 80% efficiency. This means that 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light energy while the remaining 20% is lost as heat energy. This conversion to light energy can be compared with that of incandescent bulbs, which operate at about 20% efficiency (80% of the electrical energy is lost as heat). In terms of the environment, this reduction in electricity consumption results in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. It is hypothesized here then that energy savings are positively related to the intention to purchase LED lamps.

Durability, the useful life of LED lights is based on the number of operating hours until the LED emits 70% of its initial light output. Top-quality LEDs in well-designed fixtures are expected to have a useful life of 30,000 to 50,000 hours, significantly higher than the 1,000 hours for a typical incandescent bulb, and 8,000 to 10,000 hours for a comparable CFL. The longer the life of LED lamps, the better the return to the consumer of the high initial investment in them, and therefore it is hypothesized that the durability of LED lamps will be positively related to the intention to purchase them.

Share Post:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *